Vegan MoFo: It's that time of year again! If you don't know what's up, allow me to give you a brief overview: short for the Vegan Month of Food, Vegan MoFo is an annual blogging event about all things vegan. Participants are given daily prompts and then post about it. If you need more info check out the MoFo website and get hip (click here and then come back). Today’s prompt: Indoor/outdoor picnic
Broccoli Salad is to Southern BBQs, cookouts, or picnics as Bubba is to Southern families; every single unit has one and they're all special and unique in their own way. Realistically though they're all about the same (this is primarily directed towards the Broccoli Salad because Bubbas, along with humans as a whole, are complicated beings and cannot be characterized in such broad sweeping generalizations unless for the sake of readability and conversation - still doesn't make it right tho). This Broccoli Salad always seems to show up at any Southern picnic even when not invited, just like Bubba.
Don't get it twisted this "salad" is totally junk food. Sure it looks like a bunch of gorgeous veggies (because it is) but its got an entire package of vegan bacon, more than too much vegan mayo, and shreds of vegan cheddar cheese in between. It's vegan junk food heaven.
Broccoli Salad1 package of LightLife bacon
12 oz broccoli florets
12 oz cauliflower florets
1 cup shredded Daiya Cheddar cheese
1 large carrot, spiralized or chopped fine
1/4 cup pickled red onion
1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
1 tbsp coconut sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Cook up your vegan bacon in a skillet until it's crispy then crumble it up.
- Get some salty water boiling in a big ass pot and then throw in the broccoli and cauliflower. Let cook in that water for like 2 minutes or so. Once they are almost tender but not quite (about 2 minutes in to cooking) drain the veggies and cool them off by running cold water all over them.
- In a big bowl mix your now cool broccoli and cauliflower with the vegan cheese, carrot, and pickled onion.
- Stir together vegan mayonnaise, coconut sugar, lemon juice and vinegar. Pour over cauliflower mixture; toss to coat.
- Top with vegan bacon.
- Cover and chill 1 to 8 hours.
Oh so you love broccoli?General Tso's Broccoli and Cauliflower
Broccoli Polenta Cakes
Roasted Broccoli and Radish Salad
UP NEXT: I'm going to show what's in season.
ICYMI, you too can cool all the way down with this Spring inspired Creamed Cucumber Salad.
Can't get enough? I'm all over the place, let's follow each other (cause that doesn't sound creepy, at all!) Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and Pinterest. Nothing makes me heart more full than when people let me know they've tried my recipes. If you wanna help make my heart happy you can hashtag thisveganlyfe or @ ambereatsveg, comment on the post, post on my wall, tweet at me; whichever socials you feel comfy with.
All the love,