Beets and Tofu
Vegan MoFo: It's that time of year again! If you don't know what's up, allow me to give you a brief overview: short for the Vegan Month of Food, Vegan MoFo is an annual blogging event about all things vegan. Participants are given daily prompts and then post about it. If you need more info check out the MoFo website and get hip (click here and then come back). Today’s prompt: Hearty Breakfast.
Steak and eggs is considered the second heartiest of the weekend breakfast in the South. The number one is Biscuits and Gravy but I already did a post on biscuits and gravy so you're gonna have to deal with second best. Also country fried steak and eggs is much more popular that steak and eggs but I already did a post on country fried steak too. Soooo...
- I practice intermittent fasting. What's that? Glad you asked. Intermittent fasting is an umbrella term for various eating plans that cycle between a period of fasting (not eating) and non-fasting (and eating) over a defined period. Some people cycle days. I do not. For a few months a few years ago I tried a monthly 72 hour fast cycle but that only lasted a short while cuz I'm really in to food. I've had great success over the past 2 years with a daily 16 hour fast, tho. Which means no eating between 8pm and noon the next day. It's super easy for me because the largest chunk of my fast is while I'm sleeping.
- All food is breakfast food. The idea that certain ingredients or recipes are reserved for certain times of the day is distressing to me. And since I don't eat first meal (yep that's what I call it) until noonish everyday, it's not that hard to have a big ass salad. In fact, I love it. side note: what's with the whole sugary breakfast thing? I'm not really into waffles, pastries, doughnuts, cereal, etc. I mean every once in a while I'll make some vegan French toast but usually that's because someone in my family or friend group has specifically requested this dish for their birthday or some shit.
Obviously I'm not much of a "steak and eggs" kinda folk - being vegan and all. But I'm also not really in to the whole "breakfast" thing for a couple of reasons.
Anyway, this is my first meal for today. I replaced the steak with beets and the egg with tofu. It's simple, quick to throw together, hearty, and will get your day started just right. If you've got leftovers or are feeling a little extra, you should def make country fried steak and "eggs."
This recipe is one hearty ass breakfast for one person. It could also be a small brekkie for two. The recipe is really easy to adjust to accommodate more if you need to and adjusting to larger quantities does not equal extra work. Cool Cool.
Beets and Tofu Breakfast for one
1 beet, peeled and sliced 1/2 thick
1/2 tsp liquid smoke
6 oz of tofu
1 tsp liquid aminos
- Preheat your oven to 400.
- Wrap up your beet in tin foil and pour the liquid smoke in to your foil packet. Plop your foil packet on a cookie sheet
- Slice up your tofu however you like it, toss the tofu in the liquid aminos, and put it on the cookie sheet with your beet packet.
- Bake for 20 minutes or so.
- Plate up, dress up (I drizzled mine with a balsamic redux) and get down on breakfast.
UP NEXT: I'm gonna get inspired by my fave city.
Can't get enough? I'm all over the place, let's follow each other (cause that doesn't sound creepy, at all!) Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and Pinterest. Nothing makes me heart more full than when people let me know they've tried my recipes. If you wanna help make my heart happy you can hashtag thisveganlyfe or @ ambereatsveg, comment on the post, post on my wall, tweet at me; whichever socials you feel comfy with.
All the love,