BandMan's MoFo'n Ham, Potato, Cabbage Soup
Share something vegan (and delicious, duh!) with a non-vegan.Howdy.
BandMan here. You may remember me from my only other post on this site from 2012, where I wrote about my homemade spaghetti sauce: peep it here. Today's VeganMoFo prompt was easy for Amber cause she shares delicious vegan stuff with non vegans all the time. I'm not a full-time vegan, so we decided to take the idea of sharing a vegan meal with a non-vegan and turn it around (or as Amber likes to say 'flip the script'). Here's a non-vegan sharing something vegan (and delicious, duh!) with a vegan.
This soup is something my mom used to make when I was a kid and possibly the only meal I ever requested that wasn't spaghetti (cause OH GOD do I love spaghetti). Anyway, this soup is a mega-rich and tasty and even has a little veggie fiber thrown in (the cabbage).
Speaking of that cabbage, turns out when you're in a hurry in the store, iceberg lettuce can look a lot like green cabbage. Epic veggie fail. But ANYWAY, hope ya'll dig this super decadent recipe. Cause it's kinda crazy.
The Marinade:1 c ginger ale
1 c orange juice
1/2 c brown sugar
3 tbsp veg oil
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp liquid smoke
2 tsp dry mustard
3/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
12 oz ex firm tofu, cubed
2 lbs potatoes
1 tbsp olive oil
1 sweet onion, roughly chopped
3 celery stalks, diced small
1/2 a stick of vegan butter (1/4 c)
1/4 c rice flour
4 c veg stock
1 c sour cream (double this batch)
2 c chopped cabbage
- Combine the marinade ingredients and let your tofu soak for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat to 425 and pop the marinated tofu in there so it can brown up.
- While the tofu is in the oven, boil those potatoes until they are tender. Drain.
- You'll also need to grab a big soup pot and heat up that olive oil. When it's good and hot add in the onions and celery; cook until translucent.
- Add in the butter and flour to make a roux, then add in your veg stock and whisk until it thickens.
- Do like a half mash on the potatoes and then throw them in your soup along with your browned tofu and sour cream. Let all that hang out for a minute or two and toss in your chopped cabbage.
- Salt and pepper, to taste; garnish with green tobasco and eat.
Tomorrow: OMG, Barack Obama is coming over because he knows you make awesome vegan food! What are you going to make?
ICYMI: Here's Day 13: It's Kitchen Tour Time!
Can't get enough of Amber and her recipes? She's all over the place, follow her cause she works hard on this shit: Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and Pinterest.