GUEST Blog: BandMan's Bomb Spaghetti Sauce
As you may have heard, this Vegan let me into her kitchen to make a huge mess (as well as some bomb food). I'm not Vegan or even Vegetarian, but that doesn't mean I don't love beautiful vegetables (or beautiful Vegans, obviously). So check out this sauce, it's a treat for your tasters.
And wholly unrelatedly, this right here is why she calls me Band Man: Click Me!
So enjoy the food. And the music. Maybe both at the same time.
|BandMan preparing a veggie filled s'getti sauce|
10 tomatoes, cored
4 tbsp olive oil, divided
2 onions, diced and divided
2 carrots, diced
5 garlic cloves, minced
6 basil leaves, minced
2 tbsp +1 tsp oregano, divided
1 tbsp molasses
1 tbsp honey (or agave, for you die-hards)
2 c oyster mushrooms, chopped
1 tsp rosemary
1 tbsp fresh thyme
1 orange bell pepper
2-3 tbsp white cooking wine
salt and pepper, to taste
- Puree all the tomatoes in your favorite blender
- Get out your sauce pan, give her a coating of olive oil (about 2 tbsp). Throw in half the onion, carrots, garlic, basil, and 2 tbsp oregano. Give it a stir or two and let saute until the veggies are all nice and tender.
- Then add in the pureed tomatoes, molasses, honey, and some salt and pepper. Adjust seasonings to your liking and once you've got that down, put a lid on it and let your pot simmer on low for about 20 minutes.
- While the sauce is simmering saute up those 'shrooms and the rest of the onion in the rest of the olive oil, rosemary, fresh thyme and the leftover tsp of oregano. Once the mushrooms start to brown, use your white cooking wine to deglaze the pan.
- At this point, your mouth should be watering. Throw the shrooms (wine and all) in the pot housing your pureed tomatoes, being very careful not to let that watering mouth get in the pot too (that's not vegan!).
- Add in the zucchini and bell pepper, close the lid and let simmer for 45 minutes to "the-longer-the-better"
- Top your favorite pasta, or quinoa with this hearty sauce.
|Served over quinoa with roasted broccoli and sourdough garlic bread.|