Old-Fashioned Strawberry Shortcake
Nothing says summer quite like the taste of an old-fashioned strawberry shortcake. It's light, fluffy, and anyone who consumes it gets instant cool status. I can remember this being the go-to dessert growing up, ChefMom used to make it all the time. When I had my first bite of shortcake it instantly transported me back to the long, hot, humid Alabama summers and I could feel my slow-like-molasses Southern draw creeping back. It was a shame that I inhaled it and couldn't enjoy my flashback longer.
Next time I make this I think I'll add in some more fruit like peaches, blueberries, or mangoes. You know that sounds good.
|you can easily double this recipe to make 8-10 shortcakes|
1 c white whole wheat flour
1/4 cup almond meal (grind up some almonds until they become a fine flour)
1 1/2 tbsp turbinado sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c dairy-free milk
1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 c vegetable oil
1 tiny drop of vanilla extract
1 tub of strawberries, sliced
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp sweet white wine
vanilla almond ice cream
dairy-free whipped cream
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Add the sliced strawberries to a glass bowl; sprinkle with sugar, vanilla extract, and wine; refrigerate until ready to use.
- Combine the flours, baking soda and salt in a medium-sized bowl and mix together well.
- In a small bowl, add 1 teaspoon water and the sugar, and mix together a bit to help dissolve the sugar.
- In a large bowl, combine the milk, vinegar, oil, sugar and vanilla extract.
- Whisk together.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and gradually add the wet ingredients.
- Mix everything together until combined.
- Drop the batter by generous tablespoons, a few inches apart on the sheets
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the shortcakes are just slightly golden.
- Allow the shortcakes to cool, then slice them in half with a serrated knife.
- Add a generous dollop of vanilla ice cream to the bottom half, then a spoonful of strawberries on top of that.
- Top with the remaining shortcake half. top with whipped topping and spoon a few of the strawberries with juice over it.