Vegan MoFo: It's that time of year again! If you don't know what's up, allow me to give you a brief overview: short for the Vegan Month of Food, Vegan MoFo is an annual blogging event about all things vegan. Participants are given daily prompts and then post about it. If you need more info check out the MoFo website and get hip (click here and then come back). Today’s prompt: Summer Cooler.
I don't know what the deal is with the Deep South and tomatoes but there is some kind of love affair going on here. Summer in the South was always filled with fresh tomatoes every where you looked: tomato pie, tomato gravy, tomato salads, and sides of freshly sliced tomato at every meal. Hell I still serve most of summer meals with fresh sliced tomatoes on the side. However you squeeze it, tomatoes are the taste of Summer and I ain't mad.
Throwing this gorgeous salad together can take some time if you tryna make the vegan feta cheese from scratch-scratch. If you don't have time for all that, you can make this much simpler tofu based Feta, this yummy Cauliflower Ricotta or buy some pre-made cheese from the store - Miyoko's mozzarella would be a good sub here. But if you do have time, I highly recommend doing the day before prep work on the cheese. It's super rich in complexity and flavor when it's all said and done. You will not regret it.
Heirloom Tomato Salad with Vegan Feta and Basil Vinaigrette
4 heirloom tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch slices
Vegan Feta Cheese (recipe below)
Pickled Onions (recipe below)
Basil Vinaigrette (recipe below)
- Divide the sliced tomatoes across 4 salad plates.
- Sprinkle with chunks of your vegan Feta Cheese.
- Drizzle 2 tablespoons or more of the basil vinaigrette across each salad and garnish with pickled red onion.
|so bright so vibrant|
Vegan Feta Cheese
3 cups raw cashews
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup olive juice
4 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
2 cloves garlic
2 tsp Kala namak (black salt if you got it)
- Toss all the ingredients into your blender and jusgggh until creamy af.
- Get some kind of mylk bag or cheesecloth and pour the creamy stuff in there.
- Form some sort of ball and hang the mixture over a bowl to drain overnight. 24 hours later you're ready to eat but if you want this to be the best cheese ever there is one more step.
- Preheat to 350 and prepare your fave cast-iron. Bake you cheese ball for about 45 minutes.
- When your cheese ball is golden and firm pull it out and let it cool completely. Now you've got some bomb ass feta.
|Is it just me or does that vegan feta make your mouth water?|
1 medium red onion, halved and sliced thin
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp coconut sugar
- Boil up a large pot of water. Plop your onions in a colander in the sink and pour the boiling water over the onions. Rinse the red onions under cold water.
- Mix together the remaining ingredients and pour over the onions. Let those flavors become friends for at least 30 minutes before you serve them up on a dish.
|Keep a batch of these pickled onions handy in your fridge at all times.|
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 (0.75-ounce) package fresh basil, leaves picked
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 clove garlic
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Combine all of the ingredients in a blender.
|omg that Basil Vin *drool*|
MORE Summer Tomato Dishes:Green Tomato Gratin
RAW: Tomato Stack
Broccoli Stuffed Tomatoes
Green Tomato Pasta Sauce
Baked Polenta with Fresh Tomatoes and Cauliflower Ricotta
UP NEXT: Fall colors!
ICYMI, you can get nice and cozy this winter with this vegan Chicken 'N Dumplings recipe.
Can't get enough? I'm all over the place, let's follow each other (cause that doesn't sound creepy, at all!) Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and Pinterest. Nothing makes me heart more full than when people let me know they've tried my recipes. If you wanna help make my heart happy you can hashtag thisveganlyfe or @ ambereatsveg, comment on the post, post on my wall, tweet at me; whichever socials you feel comfy with.
All the love,