Cajun Style Sweet Creamed Corn
Vegan MoFo: It's that time of year again! If you don't know what's up, allow me to give you a brief overview: short for the Vegan Month of Food, Vegan MoFo is an annual blogging event about all things vegan. Participants are given daily prompts and then post about it. If you need more info check out the MoFo website and get hip (click here and then come back). Today’s prompt: Cartoon Inspired.
I love Ray the Lightning Bug in The Princess and The Frog. He's selfless, a hopeless romantic, and missing quite a few teeth. Pretty sure lightning bugs don't have teeth, but apparently they do love nectar. If Ray were not fictional and available for dinner, I'd def have to make something sweet like nectar but also something that he wouldn't need a whole head of teeth to enjoy.
This Sweet Cajun Creamed Corn dish is just that and more! I'm going to go ahead and ask you to bookmark this page for your upcoming Thanksgiving or Christmas spread because it's the perfect holiday side and your friends and family will love it!
I've added cajun spices to this traditional Southern recipe to pay my respects to Ray's cajun roots and added some spinach in the mix because I'm mean without my greens. You may notice by the pics that I like my food well done (read: burnt). You def don't have to get the top of your creamed corn this dark.
Cajun Style Sweet Creamed Corn6 cups sweet corn
1 stick vegan butter
1 cup non-dairy milk
1 1/2 tbsp coconut sugar
1 tbsp potato starch
1/2 tbsp hot sauce
1 1/2 tsp cajun seasoning
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
2 cups baby spinach
1 cup vegan cheddar cheese
- In a small bowl, mix up your sugar, potato starch and seasonings and set aside.
- Pull out 2 cups of your corn and puree it in your blender.
- Grab your fave pot and melt your butter on medium heat. Once melted, add in all your ingredients except the spinach and cheese.
- You're going to cook that goodness over medium heat for about 30 minutes or so.
- Once everything is all tender and thick, mix in your spinach and transfer your corn to a cast iron or something you can pop in the oven.
- Top with cheese and put your creamed corn under the broiler until the top is as brown as you like it.
More Great Corn Recipes:Street Corn
Quinoa Corn Chowder
UP NEXT: Perfect Snacks for a TV event!
ICYMI, I shared a yummy Country Fried Steak recipe yesterday.
Can't get enough? I'm all over the place, let's follow each other (cause that doesn't sound creepy, at all!) Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and Pinterest. Nothing makes me heart more full than when people let me know they've tried my recipes. If you wanna help make my heart happy you can hashtag thisveganlyfe or @ ambereatsveg, comment on the post, post on my wall, tweet at me; whichever socials you feel comfy with.
All the love,