MoFo'n Pad Kee Mao - or- Drunken Noodles for 2
Re-create a restaurant meal.This one was a no-brainer for me. Drunken Noodles, Spicy Noodles, Pad Kee Mao, or whatever else you wanna call it is my go-to meal at any Thai restaurant. It's basically how I judge whether or not I like the joint or not. I've eaten this meal more times than I'd care to admit: in over 50 cities covering 25+ states; some large metropolitan areas, some middle of nowhere shacks. Sometimes it's great, sometimes it's good, but it's never just ok (ok well, there was that one time).
What is it? Well wikipedia says it's a Chinese-influenced dish that was made popular by the Chinese people living in Thailand and Laos. It's a stir fried noodle dish that's normally made with broad rice noodles, soy sauce, fish sauce (omit that shit), garlic, meat (Nope!), seafood (Double Nope!!) or tofu (yaaaas queen), bean sprouts or other vegetables, and various seasonings. Chilis and holy basil give rise to its distinctive spiciness.
But what does it mean?! There are a lot of ideas floating around on how Drunken Noodles got the name Drunken Noodles. Here are some scenarios to explain the different theories:
- Gina got too drunk at the club and needed to soak up the booze in her body before bed. She looked in her kitchen and these ingredients were all she had. BAM! - Drunken Noodles.
- Joe and John got mean plans to get turnt tonight. They cook up all the food in their fridge for a pregame dinner that way later when they get the drunchies they won't eat and ruin their buzz. BAM! - Drunken Noodles.
- Carrie is making dinner for herself for the first time! She's never really cooked before and she's very excited. She picks out all the best ingreidents she remembers seeing her mom use when she was cooking. She fills her bowl full of noodles and takes a bite. HOLY SHIT! THAT'S HOT! Oh no! She's added too many chilis. It's too spicy. The only thing she can think of to help her fire mouth is a nice cold frothy beer. BAM! - Drunken Noodles.
- Amber is a food blogger and is very excited that she's come up with this brand new, super delicious dish but she can't figure out what to name it. She scoops some into her favorite food photography bowl but it looks so sloppy. "Go home noodles. You're drunk," she said. BAM! - Drunken Noodles.
- Ben is way hungover. Like waaaaaay hungover. He stumbles into the kitchen and fixes himself some food with much comfort and such spice. Hangover cured. BAM! - Drunken Noodles.
All the ingredients for this dish were purchased from Orient Market
10 oz tofu, cubed
1 packed c Thai holy basil leaves
1 shallot, minced
1 small onion + green onion stems, minced
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
2 bird's eye chili, minced with or without seeds
2 tbsp oil
3 tbsp veg stir fry sauce - check label
3 tbsp liquid aminos
2 tsp raw sugar
2 tbsp water
- Mix together the sauce ingredients: stir fry sauce, liquid aminos (or soy sauce), sugar, and water. Set aside.
- Heat up your oil in a wok (preferred). Make sure the oil is hot AF and then add in the garlic and chili. Give 'em a stir around the ole wok once or twice and add in the tofu.
- When the tofu starts to brown (2-3 minutes) add in the shallot, onion, and green onion. Once again, give 'em all a stir around the wok.
- Add in 1 tbsp of your sauce that you've set aside so your tofu can get all coated.
- Add the noodles and remaining sauce and stir fry for a minute or so. You'll know when to stop.
- Remove from heat and stir in your basil. It's ready to eat when the basil is all wilted and your mouth is watering uncontrollably.
Tomorrow: Make/eat some thing inspired by a book or film, see y'all there.
ICYMI: Here's Day 5: Best Sandwich Ever.
Can't get enough? I'm all over the place, let's follow each other (cause that doesn't sound creepy, at all!) Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, & Pinterest. Nothing makes me heart more full than when people let me know they've tried my recipes. If you wanna help make my heart happy you can # vegan4one, comment on the post, post on my wall, tweet at me; whichever socials you feel comfy with.
All the love,