I gave VegKid a list of countries that started with the letter "N," and she chose New Zealand. I must admit I was a little lost on what to make. I read somewhere out here on the world wide web that New Zealand's cuisine is similar to that of Australia. Oh ok awesome, thanks. That doesn't really help me as I have never been to either. Have you?
After some extensive research (not really; the information super hi-way is at my finger tips), I found quite a few sweet potato dishes (mainly salads) and a love for fresh, seasonal ingredients. All my dishes for New Zealand are adapted from various non-vegan recipes that I found out there in the 1s and 0s; save the Roasted Sweet Potato salad. That was adapted from one of ChefMom's jams. Feel free to cut that recipe in half. This particular one made a lot and I have plenty of leftovers to last me through the week.
1/3 c dulse
a splash liquid smoke
2 large shallots, thinly sliced
1 1/2 tbsp of olive oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 350. Line those Brussels sprouts up face down in a baking dish and drizzle with olive oil, a little salt and pepper. Roast for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fry up the dulse and liquid smoke in a pan on a medium-low heat until crispy; roughly chop.
- Turn the heat down a little and fry the shallots in the same fry-pan until light brown and caramelized.
- Place the sprouts in a mixing bowl with the dulse and shallots. Mix to combine and then serve.
Roasted Sweet Potato Salad
2 yams, peeled and cut into approx. 1 in cubes
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
2 c fresh pineapple chunks
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 yellow bell pepper, diced
1/2 c shallots, diced
1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
1/2 c scallions, thinly sliced scallions
1/2 c fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 c flat leaf parsley, chopped
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp brown sugar
zest of 1 grapefruit
2 tsp deli style mustard
1/2 c vegetable oil
- In a roasting pan, combine sweet potatoes and olive oil, salt, and pepper. Stir around coating potatoes in oil. Roast for 25-30 minutes at 425, until fork tender and golden brown.
- In a large bowl, add potatoes and mix with the rest of the non dressing ingredients.
- Let cool while you prepare the dressing. To prepare dressing, whisk together the apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, orange zest, mustard and vegetable oil.
- Pour dressing over cooled potato salad. Toss. Chill in refrigerator until ready to serve. Toss again prior to serving.
Lemon Custard with Blackberries
juice from 2 lemons
3/4 c maple syrup
1/2 c sugar
12 ounces silken tofu, firm or extra-firm, drained
- Combine 2 1/2 teaspoons of the lemon zest, lemon juice, maple syrup, sugar, and tofu in a blender.
- Puree ingredients until smooth, scraping down sides of blender with rubber spatula as necessary.
- Divide lemon cream evenly among four bowls or serving glasses. Garnish each portion with blackberries and reserved lemon zest. Serve immediately or refrigerate.
|It's not New Zealand but it is the soundtrack to this feeding opportunity|