One of my favorite things about the warmer months is the opportunity to veg out with my fam picnic style. I'm pretty sure I have covered this before but it truly is the reason for the season. The fam and I recently had our first BBQ of 2012 and might I encourage everyone to celebrate every weekend this way! We stuffed our bellies with grilled tofu, grilled corn on the cob, roasted potato salad, squash and onions, and crossed the finish line with some uber delish grilled pears (thanks, ChefMom!).
I have had a few inquiries about grilling tofu so I have included some helpful tips below and a pretty basic recipe for starters.
|VegFam BBQ Montage|
I do love grilled tofu. It's quite possibly my favorite way to consume the lil guy. I know there are difficulties with the preparation so here are few tips I have found useful from about.com:
Tofu Grilling Tips
- Tofu tends to stick to grills, so prepare your barbecue with a non-stick cooking spray or by rubbing it with oil.
- Use firm, or if possible, extra-firm tofu, and always press your tofu well before grilling. You may also want to freeze and then thaw your tofu. This will allow the tofu to absorb more of the marinade flavors.
- When marinating your tofu, even just a simple soy sauce, barbecue sauce or vinaigrette will do the trick. A marinade containing a bit of sugar is best, as it will caramelize and help the tofu get nice and crispy and crunchy on the outside, so add a bit of sugar, rice wine vinegar, or maple syrup to your marinade.
- Try experimenting with pre-flavored tofu in your grocery store. Look for Naysoya brand garlic and onion tofu or White Wave baked flavored tofu.
Ingredients:1 block firm or extra firm tofu, super duper pressed and sliced into thirds
1/3 c soy sauce
1/4 c olive oil
2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp dried thyme
- Use a dish with a lid or a ziploc bag to marinate all ingredients for at least an hour.
- Grill for about 4-5 minutes on each side, or until done. You could also pan-fry your tofu in a few tablespoons of oil.
Roasted Potato Salad:4 potatoes, diced
1/2 c vegan mayo
2 celery stalks, diced
1/4 onion, diced
3 tbsp dill relish
2 tbsp stone ground mustard
1 tbsp capers
- roast potatoes on 350 until tender
- mix all remaining ingredients and taste heaven
|Grilled Tofu w/BBQ sauce, Grilled Corn, Squash & Onions, Roasted Potato Salad|
Grilled Pears:4 pears, halved and cored
1/2 c white wine
cinnamon, to taste
nutmeg, to taste
- Place pears cut side down in a shallow pan and pour wine over top. The wine should come up about 1/4 way of the pear.
- Sprinkle pears with cinnamon and nutmeg; drizzle with agave.
- Cover with foil and put on hot grill until soft.
- When you're ready to throw down on dessert place pear halves directly on hot grate to brown, drizzle with agave to serve.