My daughter's preschool assigns each student a day (or two) during each month in which they are responsible for being snack for the entire class. I made 24 of these cupcakes; 12 for her to take to preschool and 12 for me to give out at work. Everyone loved them and had abandoned their usual skeptism about vegan food when they saw how beautiful and downright yummy they looked (and were!)
1/4 C. Brown Sugar
1/2 C. Canola Oil
2 Tbl. Molasses
1/4 C. Vanilla Soy Yogurt
1 1/4 C. Soy Creamer (Soy Milk can be subbed)
1 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
1 C. All Purpose Flour
1 Tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 Tsp. Cinnamon
1/4 Tsp. Salt
1/2 C. Graham Cracker Crumbs (About 6 whole graham cracker crumbs. I recommend putting them in a food processor or coffee grinder)
1. Preheat oven to 350 and line muffin pan with cupcake liners
2. Mix the brown sugar, oil, molasses, yogurt, soy creamer, and vanilla
3. Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt and mix. Add graham cracker crumbs.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet. Mixing well.
5. Fill liners. Bake for 22 minutes. Let cool completely before decorating.
Fluffy Buttercream Frosting
1/2 C. Non hydrogenated shortening
1/2 C. Non hydrogenated margarine (Earth Balance)
3 C. Confectioners' Sugar, sifted if clumpy
1 1/2 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
1/4 C. Soy Creamer or soy milk
1. Beat the shortening and margarine together until well combined and fluffy. Add the sugar and beat for about 3 more minutes. Add the vanilla and soy milk, beat for another 5 to 7 minutes until fluffy. Spread a THICK layer onto each cupcake.
3 Tbl. Soy Creamer or soy milk
1/3 C. SemiSweet chocolate chips
Heat soy creamer in saucepan or microwave to just before the simmering point; add chocolate chips and stir until chocolate is completely melted. Let cool for 10 minutes, or so, and drizzle haphazardly with a fork over cupcake.
The Finishing Touches
I also like to sprinkle the top of each cupcake with graham cracker crumbs and shaved chocolate (easy! buy a small vegan chocolate bar and use your potato peeler to make shavings) and to top myself off I stick a graham cracker into the top of each cupcake.